Monday, July 27, 2009

Busy Busy

As you can imagine from the lack of new posts as well as the title of this post, yes, I have been very busy! Here's a typical week for me:
Sunday: Ulpan 8:30-1:00, Mincha 1:30-2:00, Cantillation 2:00-3:15
Monday: Ulpan 8:30-1:00
Tuesday: T'fillah 8:15-9:15, Ulpan 9:30-1:30
Wednesday: Ulpan 8:30-1:00
Thursday: Biblical Archeology 8:30-12:30 (except on days where we are on trips),

So while it seems that I am done with class in the early afternoon, it's not so accurate. There are lots of programs that we have to keep us busy during the week. For example on Sunday, I was at school until 3:15 and then had to be back at school with the other Education students to meet with one of the professors from LA. It was a very nice evening as we learned about the core values of the Rhea Hirsch School and talked about how the values will apply to our studies here in Israel and beyond.

Today, we had class until 1 and then a program from 5-7 at the Tayellet with Yoshi and Gingy. We went to three different areas on the tayellet to look at different views and studied text from the Torah, Prophets and Psalms. And of course the evening ended with some wine and cheese.

Tomorrow we have a presentation on our community service project opportunities until 3:30. Wednesday evening is Tisha B'Av and there are services at school followed by a walk to the old city and text study. Thursday after our Biblical Archeology quiz we have Mincha, and in the evening a pot luck break the fast dinner. Our week ends with Kabbalat Shabat at Harel, the first progressive (Reform) synagogue in Jerusalem.

Between all of this, I'm trying to go to the gym as often as possible and keep up with all my homework and studying. So, yes, while I've been busy, it's all been so so great! But, I do appologize for my inability to keep in touch better as by the time I have a spare moment, I'm just too exhausted to even have a coherent conversation. I have to be honest, I'm not sure when things will settle down, but I have a feeling I will start to adjust to the hectic and intense life as a grad student.

As you might have guessed, the word of the day is...
לעסוק (la-ah-soak): to busyView of Jerusalem from the Tayellet
View of Jordan from the Tayellet

Here is a video from Havdallah two weeks ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Xxpa_4u8aI

No comments:

Post a Comment