Saturday, August 1, 2009

Update and lots of pictures

Jonah, me, Allie, and Rachel on the Tayellet tour


Rachel, Dave, Andrew, me, Allie, Matt, Ally


Havdallah two weeks ago (Jeremy, Molly, Ally, Matt, and Me)

First of all, I cannot believe that four weeks ago, I left for Israel. It definitely does not feel like that, time here goes by really fast. As hard as it is to get used to Sunday being a weekday, it sort of makes the weeks go by faster. Mondays are not as dreadful, Tuesday become humpday, and with Ulpan only going until Wednesday, class on Thursday (Biblical Archaeology) is almost a breather. And then of course, unless you've experienced Shabbat in Israel, you just really won't ever understand the peacefullness of Shabbat in Jerusalem.
Alright, so here's an update on what had been keeping me busy since Monday. Tuesday after class we had a presentation about community service projects for the year. I haven't decided for sure yet, but I'm thinking of doing the Mevasseret ZIon Absorption Center where I would volunteer every Tuesday from 4:30-7:30 with recent Olim (people who have moved to Israel) from Ethopia. It sounds like a great opportunity and something I would not necessarily get the chance to do ever again.
Wednesday I had my first Hebrew exam. I didn't think it was that bad (if any of my classmates are reading this, they might disagree). Wednesday evening began Tisha B'av, the 9th of Av, when both the 1st and 2nd temples were destroyed. It's an interesting holiday, especially for Reform Jews. Tisha B'av is a fast holiday, yet many Reform Jews (including me) choose not to fast because we don't believe that the temple should be rebuilt. During services on Wednesday evening overlooking the Old City, or 4 interns each presented their viewpoint on the Holiday. Scott and Emily, both Rabbinical students in Cincinatti, had similar viewpoints in that Judaism exists today all over the world and that having the once central temple, would send the message that Judaism cannot exist the way it does today. Haim, a Rabbinical student in Israel, believes quite differently. He spoke of how he thinks that the only place to be Jewish is in Israel and that a Third Temple should be built. Obviously a very controversial issue, but it was much appreciated to hear the different opinions. Josh, a cantorial student in NY, presented his viewpoint through Music. After the beautiful service we walked from school to the Kotel. As you can imagine, there were thousands of people and it was very difficult to move, but nonetheless an experience to be at the Kotel for.
Thursday we had to get up bright and early for our first Biblical Archaeology quiz. After class we had Mincha. My amazing roomate, Allie, was the first HUC student to chant Torah this year and did a wonderful job chanting Thursday afternoon. Thursday evening we had a potluck to "break the fast" even though only about 10 people in the class fasted. It was still lots of fun and there were some delicious food items, especially the Nutella pancakes! After the potluck we went out for a few hours.
Friday was actually the first day since I've been here since I haven't set an alarm clock and guess what? I woke up at 6:30am, went back to sleep, woke up at 8:30, and then forced myself to sleep in until 11. Ally, Allie, Rachel and I headed to the shuk. On Fridays the shuk is just insane, you cannot walk anywhere without being pushed stepped on or smoked on, but we braved it anyway. We went to services with HUC at Harel, the first progressive (Reform) synagogue in Jerusalem. It felt a lot like a service in the states. Allie, Ally, and I hosted our first Shabbat dinner. Rachel, Marni and Jordan, and Greg and Tami (two HUC-LA students who knew Allie) all came over. Actually two years ago, Tami lived in my bedroom and Greg proposed to her in my room (we even reinacted the scene)! Dinner was a lot of fun, Tami and Greg gave us advice about the year in Israel, places to go, etc.
Today we woke up for Shabbat services at school, which I've actually started to really enjoy. Then we came home had lunch, Ally made a delicious chicken salad with our leftover chicken from last night, and then we all took our Shabbat naps. There's something about Shabbat in Jerusalem that is just so peaceful. The honking of the horns lessens, fewer cars on the street, and families taking walks together just creates such a relaxing Shabbat. In the midst of relaxation I took some time to write my first Education Credo that is due tomorrow.
Jordan and Marni invited the entire class over tonight for Havdallah in their beautiful apartment. It was nice to spend Havdallah with everyone, but of course we were all exhausted and have to wake up early tomorrow for our long day of school.HUC Year in Israel at Shabbat at Harel

Shabbat Dinner at our AptGreg and Tami in my room reinacting their engagement


Tomorrow is a long day. Ulpan, Mincha, Cantillation, and then the Ed students are going over to our teacher's house to watch Mr. Holland's Opus. Should be a busy but fun day. I'll try to blog throughout the week, but if not, I'll catch up next weekend.
Picture of the ed class with our teacher Sally
Shavua Tov!

No comments:

Post a Comment