Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The News

Every Tuesday in Ulpan, each person in class says talks about a current event from the news. One of the reasons Osnat (our amazing teacher) has our Kita do this is to stay updated on what is going on in the world, and also, as a way to get us to speak more and more Hebrew in class while simultaneously increasing our vocabulary. After sharing our news, we then read a little bit of an Israeli Newspaper that comes out each Tuesday morning for recent Olim. This week I chose to talk about Michael Jackson's mother gaining custody of his children.

If you have been keeping up with the news this past week, you might be able to guess what was on all of our minds today, what we read in the paper, and what has become part of many discussions since Sunday morning. On Saturday evening, a masked man entered a gay/lesbian support group center and opened fire. Two victims were killed, a 14 year old girl, and 26 year old man. At least 15 others were wounded. I've read article after article on Haaretz. I was brought to tears when I read a quote from a young teenage boy stating that he was terrified to tell his parents he was gay, but that he had to do so when they came to pick him up from the hospital. Yoshi, the director of the Year in Israel program, addressed this tragic event on Sunday to our class. One of my classmates spoke out about her frustration, anger, and saddness towards the victim and the reality that these things do happen all over the world, a feeling most of us were also experiencing. The latest articles that I have read are implying that it might not have been a hate crime directed toward the gay community but rather a murder. Regardless, I hope that whoever committed this crime will be caught.

So what's Israel like in times like these? First of all a note to my family and friends, and those worriers out there:
Israel is a safe place. Jerusalem is a safe place. Things can happen unexpectedly here, just as anywhere else in the world. Before you panic (Grandma), read the sources and evaluate the facts. To clarify, I go to school in Jerusalem, not in Tel Aviv, and the horrific shooting took place in a gay/lesbian support center. Of course you can always contact me directly (if you don't have my phone number and would like it, send me an email and I will send it to you), but also know that I am most likely in class. Know that I greatly appreciate your concerns, and I am safe.

To my surprise, or lack there of, there has not been a whole lot going on in Jerusalem with regards to this event. Sunday evening there was a vigil in Jerusalem for the victims. In Tel Aviv there was also a vigil and there has been a few other gatherings in memory.

This morning at services, Cantor Havilio talked about love. For those of you that don't know, tomorrow is a holiday called, "Tu B'av" which is essentially the Valentine's Day of Israel. At the end of the service, before the Mourner's Kaddish, she acknowledged the lives that were lost in Tel Aviv because of hate (even if they are not calling it a "Hate Crime" there is still "hate" involved in a murder) and then asked us to all remember all of the lives that have been lost because of hate as we said the prayer together.

I am really glad to be part of this liberal, Reform community here in Israel, especially during this time. Each day, I become more and more inspired by something or someone else's words, actions, or teachings.

For now, I must go finish studying for my Hebrew quiz tomorrow, but before I do so, I'll leave you a word of the day:
מלקק המורה (mih-lah-kek ha-more-ah)- "to suck up" or "brown noser"
(side note: we asked our teacher how to say "brown noser" and she told us that they say "licking the teacher", so that is actually the literal translation)

What will tomorrow bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment