Saturday, August 22, 2009

I Got a Guitar!



So I've wanted to learn how to play the guitar and song lead (even though I have a terrible voice) for a really long time. I kept tossing the idea around about learning this year or waiting until I am back in the states to learn, but came across an opportunity to purchase a good guitar for beginners. I plan to teach myself along with the help of my amazing classmates who have offered assistance.

Shabbat in Ramat HaSharon was a wonderful experience. Ramat HaSharon is a very beautiful small city not far from Tel Aviv. Right now the congregation meets in a High School but is in the process of building a synagogue on the border of Ramat HaSharon and Herzelia. The Rabbi and the President of the congregation gave us a tour of the new building and explained to us that they cannot continue to build unless they raise more money, but that they needed to begin the building process otherwise they would have lost the property.

Ally Tick and I were hosted by a lovely Israeli family for Shabbat dinner. The food was absolutely delicious and endless. It was probably the best meal I have had since I arrived a month and half ago. At the end of the meal we exchanged email addresses and phone numbers and hope to keep in touch.

Allie Harris, Bess, and I went to a cafe for lunch and to do our homework this afternoon. It was very relaxing (not typically the word I use to describe homework), but being outside on this beautiful (and hot) Shabbat afternoon it was quite peaceful. Tonight we are headed to Emek Refaim (the German Colony) to celebrate Rachel Levin's birthday.

I better go practice for cantillation since tomorrow is our last day. We are being tested on K'doshim (which ironically is the portion that I wrote about in my application essay and was the theme of Karav 2005) in the next few weeks.

Since it's our last week of summer session I'm not sure when I'll have the opportunity to blog again, so Shabbat Shalom and Shavua Tov!

1 comment:

  1. Love following your blog. Excited for you and proud of your decision to study in Israel. Did you know Keryl played a 12 string guitar?

    ReplyDelete