Sunday, July 19, 2009

Word of the Day

I'm going to continue a little tradition that I had with some friends last year while I was studying at Hebrew University called, "word of the day". Actually, one of my friends in my Ulpan at Hebrew U decided that in order to make sure that she was communicating with her friends at home, she would send them a word of the day (usually a new or interesting word from class). I like this tradition for a few reasons:
1. It ensures that I will update my blog every day during Ulpan, even if it is just to say the word of the day.
2. It helps me to reinforce a new word that I learned in class that day.
3. You can learn a little Hebrew too!

I'm in Kitah Bet (the levels are Alef, Bet, Gimmel, and Dalet). I love my teacher Osnat (pronounced Oh snot...ya, it's funny). She's so much fun and really wants to help us to learn. There are 13 other students in my class and we already had a lot of fun today, so I imagine it will continue to be a great class:-)

After class we had a really short Mincha service followed by Cantillation. Starting to learn (or actually relearn, as I took trope from Cantor Cohn 10 years ago) is a bit difficult and it doesn't help that I have a terrible skill. Hopefully by the end of the six week course, I'll have learned it all!

At the end of my long day at school (8:30-3:30) I headed over to the gym. I think I forgot to mention that I joined the gym at the David's Citadel Hotel right next to school with several other HUC students. It's super nice in there and just a great break to be in a luxurious hotel a few times a week.

Ally and Allie went to see Harry Potter with a bunch of other HUC classmates. I decided not to go since I've never read the books or seen any of the movies. It's been a relaxing evening. I went for a walk around town, grabbed some dinner, and came home to do some laundry, cleaning, oh ya, and a little homework!

So, for the word of the day...
קליפה (klee-pah)-peel

No comments:

Post a Comment