Saturday, July 11, 2009

Things That Make Me Happy

Shabbat in Jerusalem is something that just cannot be described in words, but I'll do my best to give you a glimpse of the past 24 hours+.

On Friday morning and early afternoon, everyone is busy preparing for Shabbat. It is difficult to move through the shuk (especially with our cart, which I must say is pretty awesome), but I still love the experience of everyone buying their favorite Challah, salads, veggies, fruit, and delicious Marzipan Rugelach if they are really smart. But we actually began our Friday with a nice little breakfast with Matt and Andrew (two Rabbinical students in our program).
Allie, Matt, Andrew, and Ally in our tiny kitchen

After breakfast, the 5 of us walked to Machane Yehuda, filled our cart, and headed back to our wonderfully air conditioned apartment, made salad for the potluck Shabbat dinner, relaxed, and got ready for our first Shabbat together in Jerusalem.

We brought our food to the Dubin's (the family where we had Shabbat dinner-Andy, is a Rabbinical student and came to Israel with his wife and four children) and headed over to Kol Hanishamah (one of two Reform, or Progressive as they call it in Israel, synagogues in Jerusalem) for Shabbat services. Ally and I were excited as we walked in and saw Rabbi Mason sitting in the congregation! Despite the fact that I could barely follow the service, I still enjoyed it very much. Afterwards, Ally and I saw Rabbi Mason for a few minutes and he reintroduced me to Sally Klein-Katz, who will be my Education Seminar teacher this year.

Ally, Allie, Dave (a cantorial student), the Dubin's, and I all headed back to the Dubin's apartment for a wonderful Shabbat dinner. After dinner, we headed to Matt and Andrew's to hang out with some other students for the evening.Shabbat Dinner at the Dubin's (Todd, me, Allie, Andy, Dave, Ally)

For those of you that don't know, Jerusalem pretty much shuts down on Shabbat which is a pretty awesome thing. Allie, Ally, and I all slept in for the first time since we arrived. We took it easy and didn't make any big plans.

This evening at HUC was a very special experience. Alumni of HUC and first year students were invited to a lecture given by Rabbi Marmer, "On Hope", followed by a reception, followed by the most magnificent Havdallah service I have ever experienced. All of the Alumni were so friendly and so excited for all of us new HUC students, offerring all of their advice and good words. Ally and I even met Rabbi Polish (Rabbi Greene's father in-law) and his wife and daughter! During Havdallah, Ally and I stood with Rabbi Mason on the Feinstein Lawn which overlooks the Old City (I swear it looks like a painting). It was quite a meaningful evening, standing with Ally, whom I have shared almost every single meaningful and important Jewish experience with, and Rabbi Mason, who in so many waysm, has influenced, mentored, and also been part of these life-changing Jewish experiences in my life. And now, standing there together tonight, felt in a way, like the beginning of this HUC journey and it all felt so right.
Ally and me with Rabbi Mason at the front entrance of HUC

Rabbi Mason took Ally and I out for a late dinner at Cafe Hillel, and then we headed up Ben Yehudah (with a small tour from Rabbi Mason of various shops that participated in "Shop Israel" and even showed us where he bought some Jewelry for Patty).

The night concluded with Allie taking out her guitar, and Matt, Ally, Allie, and I singing Jewish songs (which may be my most favorite thing to do). I seriously could not be going to sleep happier after this amazing Shabbat, Havdallah, and start of this new week.

Shavua Tov:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment