Saturday, July 18, 2009

Some Highlights of What I Love about Israel (and HUC)

I love that my internet is finally working well enough for me to post the promised pictures from the first night of Orientation
Tower of David

Me and Ally outside the walls of The Old City
On our walk from school to The Old City
HUC Year in Israel 2009-2010 (minus Matt:-( )
I love that when I walk into school in the morning, I greet others and am greeted with "Boker Tov" instead of the American "Hey" or "Whatsup?"

I love that on Thursday afternoon and all day Friday, everyone (especially salesmen) wishes each other a "Shabbat Shalom"

I love that on Friday evening in Jerusalem, the Shabbat siren is heard and there is no way to forget that Shabbat has come.

I love that around 4pm on Friday afternoon, the streets become quieter and that quiet lasts throughout Shabbat.

I love that after a Shabbat dinner at school, two of my HUC friends picked up guitars and led our HUC class in a Shabbat Shira.

I love that everyday during orientation I was inspired by Rabbis', teachers', and colleagues' words of wisdom, advice, and encouragement about this journey I have begun.

I love that the faculty at HUC truly cares about each and every one of the students in every way. (i.e. the director of the year in Israel program, knows every single HUC student's name and has made an effort to really get to know all of us)

I love that I have already made such great friends who I already have so much in common with (i.e. love to sing Jewish songs and Shabbat services as much as I do)

I love that I am starting 6 weeks of Ulpan (intense study of Hebrew) tomorrow.

I love that even though my voice sucks, I am still going to take cantillation (chanting Torah) class.

I love that I run into people I know on the streets-on Thursday I was about to cross the street by my apartment, and heard someone shout "Amanda" and saw Aimee Weiss. And then, later that evening I was walking to Rachel's apartment for dinner and saw Orly Goldschmidt (the shlicha from U of I) sitting at the fountain literally 10 steps from my apartment.

I love being that it is so easy to keep in touch with people from home (p.s. I love getting emails, ims, gchats, etc-but have been a bit slow in responding, sorry!)

I love that my Saturday night plans with my friends consist of meeting at park at 8:30 for Havdallah. Here's a glimpse of this evening's spectacular Havdallah:
There were roughly 10 of us with Lara and Andrew leading us with their guitars. We were sitting in a park facing The Old City. Lara and Andrew taught us Dan Nichols new song, "Sweet as Honey" (which we recorded and are sending it to Dan Nichols, I'll post the youtube link once its up) and then we went into our Havdallah service. Us HUC students are quite creative when it comes to lack of supplies. For example, tonight instead of grape juice (or wine) we used actual grapes. Not a problem, you might think, but, Ahhhh, what about when you have to put the candle out. Yoni and Rachel took care of that by squeezing a grape and a gasp of breath. Towards the end of Havdallah, we noticed a mass amount of people all different ages approaching (high schoolers-60 year old). Ally and Matt went to invite them to join but they were a bit shy. Lara and Andrew continued the song session as Havdallah ended and the group of people came to join in. They were from Holland and were on a family trip to Israel. We asked if they knew any songs and they said "Shalom Chaverim" and "Hava Nagila". We went with "Shalom Chaverim" (Goodbye my friend, goodbye my friend, until we meet again=the English words, typically a song sung in Jewish preschool). Lara and Andrew taught a few songs and then the group left us. At the end of our little song session, Dave had us all look around at the view of The Old City and take it all in. Again these pictures don't do the experience justice by any means. (my internet is being slow again, pictures won't upload, I'll do it later)

Lilah Tov:-)

1 comment:

  1. I love that you love everything!! I love that you live in Jewish time ! I love that you have chosen this path.......
    your favorite Morah:))) sending xoxo

    ReplyDelete