Saturday, May 1, 2010

The Miracles Return

With the artist, Emanuel, of our new Challah Covers and Wall Hangings


Lara and I on the swings at our favorite ice cream place

Last week I had the opportunity to "staff" the KESHER Shabbaton. This Shabbaton took place at Kibbutz Yahel (the first of two Reform Kibbutzim in Israel). The participants are American Reform Jews who are on various programs in Israel and are looking for a Reform connection while they are in Israel. Many of the participants are prospective HUC students. I happened to have attended this Shabbaton 2 years ago when I was studying abroad my Junior year at Hebrew U. Click Here to read more about the weekend.

On the bus ride down to Kibbutz Yahel, one of the other HUC madrichim, Dave, was talking about how when we got to Israel, we appreciated every little thing. I remember our first orientation program passing around the Torah outside the Old City, it really felt like a miracle living in Israel and being in this graduate program. After a while though, we adjusted to our life in Jerusalem and everything was natural. Even our tiyulim felt like routine. Dave pointed out though, that as the year is coming to a close, we are starting to appreciate the miracles again. He's right.

The night before the Shabbaton I happened to be "g-chatting" with the HUC student who staffed the Shabbaton I was on 2 years ago, Callie. Callie would be entering her 4th year of Rabbinical school, but has decided to add on the Education year, which means, this fall, we will be classmates! How cool is that?!
The Shabbaton was a wonderfully relaxing weekend. All of the participants so greatly appreciated everything. It was so much fun to see the energy and excitement of the weekend with services, songleading, and just asking questions. It really brought back all of my wonderful memories of last summer when we all arrived in Israel.
One of my favorite parts of this year has been Havdallah in the park overlooking the Old City, a tradition that we began last summer, and of course came to a halt with the weather. Two weeks, when Havdallah started up again, those same summer feelings of "wow! I'm really here! This is amazing!" returned.

Last night I went to Kol Hanishamah for services for the last time (at least this trip). The first few weeks last summer, HUC students filled several rows in the synagogue. As the year went on, we tried out different communities and were busy with preparing for Shabbat that we didn't always go to services. Last night, rows were filled again with HUC students. The Rabbi wished us all luck and told us how much they appreciated having us as part of their community this year. At the end of services Charles Bronfman came up to a few of my friends and I and shook our hands and wished us luck.
After services I went to Shabbat Dinner at Kelly and Andrew's. After Shabbat dinner my first week in Jerusalem, I went over to their place to hang out with what I assumed would be my "good friends" at HUC. Last night, their apartment was filled with 20 people sharing in Shabbat together. I am really going to miss the routine of Friday night always being Shabbat. I hope it is something that I continue back in the states.
And so, here I am on this sunny Shabbat afternoon realizing that in just three weeks I will in Chicago on a (hopefully) sunny Saturday afternoon. This miracle of Shabbat in Jerusalem will have been past. In a way, it will feel like this year was a magical dream.

Everything is coming to a close. Tomorrow I began my last week of school in Israel. Next week is finals. And then I am heading back to Chicago. My first blog post was all about how much I love countdowns, for some reason, I can't seem to get myself into the spirit this time. I am just filled with so many mixed emotions. I am so excited to come "home" and see my friends and family and be back into my routine at home. I know that I will appreciate the miracles in America such as lines, customer service, and Chipotle of course. But, I will deeply miss the miracle of walking down the street on a Friday or Saturday and being greeted by complete strangers with "Shabbat Shalom" and the other daily miracles of Israel.

Off to study Biblical Grammar (I haven't seemed to find the miracle in that yet)!


Oh, and I forgot to mention...I got my teaching placement for this fall. I will be teaching 4th grade at Temple Emanuel of Beverly Hills! I am so excited. This is a particularly wonderful experience as I will be working under Rabbi Sara Mason-Barkin (Rabbi Mason's daughter)! I know this is going to be a great learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment